Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Alpha Chi at Work: Lauren, Dana, and Kristiana

Read all about Lauren's involvement in Camp Kesem with her two Alpha Chi sisters!

 It was not until last year that I have ever heard of Camp Kesem. My fellow Alpha Chi sister, Dana Helm introduced me to this national organization that is sweeping across college campuses. Camp Kesem is a student run summer camp for kids with a parent who has (or had) cancer. This one-week sleep away camp is a chance for kids ages 6-13 to have a fun filled week and to just be kid.

After researching this amazing organization I could not help but join Dana in the race to win a ten thousand dollar grant from Livestrong.  As well, our fellow Alpha Chi, Kristiana Foppiano joined us in the promotion of Camp Kesem on our campus. We competed against thirty other schools along the West Coast hoping to retrieve the most online votes. Due to our persistence and determination, we were given a generous donation from Livestrong to kick-start our branch of Camp Kesem at University of Oregon.
 
Fast forward one year, Dana, Kristiana, myself, and six other amazing coordinators are currently working towards our inaugural camp at YMCA Camp Collins in Gresham, Oregon. Dana is our Co-Chair meaning she acts as a liaison with our regional and national director. As well, she mediates meetings and is constantly checking in with each coordinator to make sure we are all on track. Kristiana is our Student Support coordinator; working as a solo act she is constantly using her outgoing personality to recruit future camp counselors, interview them, and train them. As for me, I am the Camper Care Co-Chair. This entails publicizing and marketing our new camp to not only our University of Oregon campus, but also the entire state of Oregon.

I am so glad to say that I am a member of this phenomenal organization. My reason for joining Camp Kesem is the same as many others. I have seen the brutal affects of cancer, and I hope to provide aid to those who have experienced the same. I can firmly attest that being a member of Camp Kesem along with my two best friends and Alpha Chi sisters, Dana and Kristiana has given me a once in a lifetime opportunity. It is so rewarding to know that our consistent efforts and hard work is going to fund a weeklong escape filled with laughter, smiles, sunshine and fun!

This is such an amazing, worthwhile organization to be a part of! As a camp counselor myself, I think it is so admirable how much hard work and dedication they throw into this camp. Thank you, Lauren, Dana, and Kristiana, for all that you do for this community! I am proud to call you my sisters!

Here is the link to Camp Kesem so you can learn more! http://www.campkesem.org/site/c.jvI0ImN0JuE/b.2466361/k.BD89/Home.htm

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty


No comments:

Post a Comment