Monday, February 27, 2012

Alpha Chi at Work: Gabo Ailstock

Read all about Gabo's work the the Student Health Advisory Committee!

It was last spring term when I first heard about the Student Health Advisory Committee or SHAC as we like to call it. A member of SHAC gave a short recruiting presentation about the group to the class and I was immediately drawn in. In the short presentation I learned that SHAC serves as the lesion between the University Health Center and the students in which it services. Not knowing what this fully meant I applied thinking it would be a good resume booster. As summer wound down I received news that I was selected to be a member of SHAC and our first meeting was Friday of week one.

The first Friday we jumped right into business and I was completely lost in the health center talk. I soon learned that we are a huge part of how the Director of the health center views and applies policy. As a member we evaluate the budgets and the student health insurance, recommend changes in the UHC services and promote good health to the university community. Ways in which we promote good health are through supporting movements such as the STFU or Smoke and Tobacco Free University and choosing representatives to serve on various committees such as the SRC steering committee and join in discussions on the universities sexual assault and harassment standards.

Becoming a member of SHAC has helped me become a more informed student on university policies and pushed me to become more involved in other aspects of campus beyond the SHC!

This sounds like an excellent way to be involved in the community! The work that Gabo does directly impacts all students on campus. I feel lucky to be able to say that someone as poised, outgoing, and warm hearted as Gabo is representing Alpha Chi in the SHAC!

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty

No comments:

Post a Comment