Monday, February 20, 2012

Alpha Chi at Work: Azia Calderhead

Read all about Azia Calderhead's internship in the ASUO!

During the middle of fall term, I was hanging out with a few Alpha Chis when I mentioned that I was involved in student government during my years at Santa Monica High School. I was very excited because I had just received news that I had been placed on a committee for the ASUO, or the "Associated Students of the University of Oregon". One of my sisters quickly told me that she absolutely had to introduce me to Chrissy Hardesty. Upon hearing the letters, ASUO, Chrissy's face lit up. She expressed to me in the deepest enthusiasm how happy she was to be involved in student government. I asked her what she knew about the internship program that the ASUO offered because I had seen it on the website, and she encouraged me to apply. I was astounded when she told me that the ASUO was one of the most powerful university student-run government in the nation with a budget that surpassed $13 million a year. I had not met anyone who spoke of student government with such excitement since I had started school here in Oregon, and was ecstatic to talk to someone I could share that with! As soon as I got home that night, I filled out my application, completed my resume, and the rest is history.

My internship began this winter term. In the classroom, I receive class credit while learning valuable information about the Oregon government in relation to public education. We also make goals for ourselves as student leaders by utilizing a "backwards plan". Guest speakers come in often and share their experiences, and give the history of the ASUO's inner workings. Outside of the classroom I work under ASUO Senate President, Lamar Wise. When I applied, I was under the impression that my internship would consist of a lot of coffee runs and busy work. The first time I met with my new mentor one-on-one, he said, "Oh no, you're going to be worked much harder than that." The type of things he needs me for is filling in for meetings he isn't able to be at (his schedule is insanely busy) and asking my opinion on various issues. I also serve on the Shared Governance Task Force committee with him. We are currently conducting and compiling research on the most essential ways to ensure that the ASUO and administration are cooperating in a productive, beneficial way. Lamar is an incredible leader, and has taught me more than I ever anticipated. He is constantly encouraging me to ask questions and share my opinion. I deeply encourage everyone to observe a Senate meeting, and find out how funds are allocated within out university.

Being a part of the ASUO internship program has brought so much positivity to my life. Chrissy's strong words made me really excited to apply for it, and without Alpha Chi I may not be an intern! The support of my sisters has made my hectic schedule more bearable, and I speak for so many of us when I say that. I've been a member of Alpha Chi Omega for less than six months, yet I already know that I will benefit from it for the rest of my life. I'm a sincere believer in working hard to make the most out of every experience, and it lets me do just that, everyday.

Because I am involved in the ASUO myself, I can assure you all that Azia is one of the hardest interns in the internship program this term. Lamar is one of my closest friends, and he constantly raves about how amazing Azia is. She definitely proves that Alpha Chi is a sorority with solid values and a sorority that is involved in the community. I absolutely adore seeing Azia around the office, and we have become much closer because of the ASUO. Azia has a bright future ahead of her in the ASUO, and I look forward to working with her every step of the way!

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty

No comments:

Post a Comment