Sunday, February 26, 2012

Alpha Chi at Work: Emily Inslee

Read all about Emily Inslee's volunteer work with the Early Childhood Cares program!

Before coming to the University of Oregon I knew I wanted to be a teacher.  After getting into the Educational Foundations Program I decided I wanted to get a Special Education minor to get more experience with the field. After taking many classes, I realized that I was really interested in working in the Special Education department and decided that I needed to get some experience in the classroom.  I started volunteering at Early Childhood Cares last year and it has been one of the best experiences of my life.  Early Childhood Cares is a program on campus and it provides early intervention and early childhood education to infants, toddlers, and pre-school aged children in Lane County.  I work in a parent toddler class with children who have autism. It’s been amazing to see the improvements and developments that the children have made throughout the year, and it’s been a great opportunity to be able to work with the individual children.   Every day, there is a meeting held for the parents to teach them specific skills for their children; while the meetings are being held I take care of the children and then we usually have free time, snack time, and circle time.  Overall it’s been a great experience. I have been fortunate enough to get to know all of the parents and been able to discuss the hardships of having children with autism.  Even though it’s a constant challenge, I am able to see the love that these parents have for their children and it reassures me every day that I want to be a teacher so I can have a positive impact on future children and their families.

With so many education majors out there, it is great that Emily is seperating herself from the pack and putting this amazing work on her resume!

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty

No comments:

Post a Comment