Saturday, February 18, 2012

Alpha Chi Abroad: Rachel Dobkowski

Read all about Rach Dobkowski's study abroad experience in Italy!
          Prior to college I knew that I loved to travel.  I spent numerous summers in high school traveling the world.  After tenth grade I went to Spain on a Spanish speaking language program.  And after eleventh grade, I participated in a charitable work/service program in New Zealand and Fiji.  I also went to Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and various places throughout America.  Seeing new places and traveling alone or within a group, were life changing experiences for me because I matured significantly, while learning about different cultures and peoples, thus solidifying my love of travel.
Rachel at the Colosseum
in Rome!

            Due to my international adventures in high school, I knew I wanted to study abroad in college.  I was concerned that my collegiate responsibilities might keep me from achieving my goal to study abroad.  However, I realized that I could fulfill my arts and letters requirement by learning to speak Italian, and I that turned out to be the perfect reason for me to study abroad.  After taking just three terms of Italian, I was off to Lecce, Italy for two months during the summer.  This was University of Oregon’s first program in that location of Southern Italy.  One unique benefit of this program was that it was offered during the summer, which meant I wouldn’t miss out on any sisterhood activities or events held by fraternity/sorority life, especially our spring philanthropy event, Diamond Days. 

Rachel at the
Trevi Fountaim!
            In Lecce, I spent my much of my time taking Italian language classes, as well as cooking and ceramics elective classes.  Our group also traveled to different cities in the North and South, experiencing Italian culture, exploring Italian beaches and making new friends from across the world.  While in Italy, I treasured talking to locals because they always taught me more about the language and culture than I could possibly learn in class.  It was always easy to talk to them, even if you made a mistake.  Fun fact: there is no word for awkward in the Italian language.  The Italian people were extremely warm, friendly, outgoing and kind-hearted.  My only regret was not having a sister there to enjoy the experience with me.

            My study abroad trip to Italy was one of the highlights of my life.  My Italian language skills improved dramatically.  I also learned about Italian culture, saw some of the most historic and beautiful places in the world, and ate some of the best food I’ve ever tasted.  I miss Italy dearly but I am thrilled to be back in Oregon enjoying my senior year with my sisters! 

Clearly, Rachel had the time of her life when she was abroad! Luckily, we didn't have to say goodbye to her during the year. Rachel took full advantage of everything that was offered to her in Italy, and I have no doubt that she promoted the values of Alpha Chi in the world beyond Alpha Kappa!

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty

No comments:

Post a Comment