Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Alpha Chi at Work: Tashi Kerr

Read all about Tashi Kerr's internship with the University of Oregon's baseball team!

Working for fifty guys who do nothing but complain for ten hours straight is probably not the most ideal internship, especially for a college girl. But for me, it couldn’t get any better.

I intern under the director of operations for Oregon’s Baseball department. Now that you know the buys I work for are collegiate athletes my statement might seem false, but I still stand by what I said. I don’t get paid or get college credit but to me the experience of just these past two years alone make up for all of that. I have the luxury of having two families on campus, my baseball family and of course my sisters. Both make up a little part of me, and I couldn’t imagine my life without them.
Tashi repping the Oregon Baseball Team!
Ultimately, I hope to work for a sports public relations firm or do sports operations on a collegiate level. The planning, networking, strategic and analytical thinking is hard work, but this internship keeps me focused on my goals. Working under operations I get to see all the internal workings of a successful sports program. I do everything from planning their away trips, scheduling everything in their daily lives, running the scoreboard, sending e-mails, talking to new recruits, and even occasionally getting their food for them. I have learned how to take control of any situation whether I am dealing with people who can never be satisfied or MLB head coaches. I have been able to be a part of every single aspect of operations that I hope to be doing in the future.

Barb, our house mom, was actually the one who got me this internship. Knowing that I wanted a job with the athletic department she approached the director of operations for baseball and told him she had the perfect person to fill the spot. The next day I woke up to a missed call asking me to come in for an interview.  With her recommendation I got the internship on the spot. Barb truly opened the door to my career, giving me the opportunity to take my first steps. I am so thankful for her support, devotion, and love for AXO.

Unlike my other sisters who have already written for this blog, my internship isn’t exactly the best place to be spilling my heart out about how much I love Alpha Chi. Although I would love to talk to all the male coaches, fifty plus players, and ten managers about all the fun girls night I have, I also know the baseball field is just NOT the place.  But I can full heartedly say that if it weren’t for Alpha Chi I would not be where I am today. The time I have spent hasn’t always been easy but for the first time I can be confident in who I am and know that whatever decision, mistake, or triumph I make I will have my sisters behind me.  And that is something that not everyone gets to experience, but it’s also the one thing that I will always cherish.

Knowing Tashi, I know that she would never brag about herself. However, I can honestly say that Tashi is one of the hardest workers I have ever met. She is constantly putting a hundred and ten percent into her job, her academics, and this sorority. She is passionate about helping others, and she would drop everything just to help a sister in need. I am so proud to know that Tashi is out in the community promoting the values of Alpha Chi Omega because she defines what it means to be a true Alpha Chi.

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty

No comments:

Post a Comment