Sunday, January 22, 2012

Alpha Chi at Work: Gigi Seimears

Read all about Gigi's involvment with the American Marketing Association!

As a young college sophomore I felt a little lost and confused about what direction I wanted to go academically. I had already found a home away from home in Alpha Chi, but I still was unsure about what major suited me the best. I felt like time was getting the best of me. When I started taking more business classes, and heard from a fellow friend and sister, Morganne Hatfield, about a club she was involved in, I thought this might be the answer to all my problems! (Not really to all my problems, but I thought why not check it out)

Gigi with the AMA!
Fast-forward a year later and I am still in the club, the American Marketing Association. I couldn’t be happier about my decision to take Morganne’s advice and see what AMA was all about. I found that it’s a great resource for students to be around peers of similar interests, all while receiving valuable information from professionals about various occupations, as well as first hand access to internships not made available to other students. Not only, has this club provided me a sense of security by helping guide me through the career search process, but we also have a lot of fun in the mean time. There are fun events throughout the year, such as the car smash in the spring, where people get to take out their dead week and final frustrations by smacking a sledgehammer to an old car for only a couple bucks. Sounds a little unusual but it actually is quite the stress reliever. We also randomly will get together to hang out, just kick back and eat some Pegasus, go bowling, or even play some laser tag.

Even though I love all the fun social gathering, my favorite part of the club are the site visits, where we get to visit different firms in various locations. Last year members had the opportunity to go to Seattle, last term to an advertising agency in Eugene, Capelli Miles, with a focus on brand marketing, this term we will be traveling to Portland to talk to professionals working at Yahoo, and next term there will be a site visit in San Francisco! The site visits are so much fun because not only, do you get to see how various businesses are run from the inside, but you also get to get away for the weekend and experience new surroundings with your friends.

What an amazing experience Gigi has had with the AMA! It's great to know that Alpha Chi is being represented in different groups all over campus.

LITB,

Chrissy Hardesty

No comments:

Post a Comment